Do you want to make a centerpiece for the holidays, a get together or even a wedding or event? One item that can be incorporated very easily and inexpensively are vintage picture frames — they aren’t just for holding photos anymore!
Whether you want it for your table, fireplace mantel, guestbook table, or entry table, these ideas are cost effective, fun and eco friendly!
Here are some ideas to get the wheels turning. Can you come up with some more ideas?
- The first, and most obvious, is to use them along with other items to create a centerpiece. Place a photo appropriate to your event (child on Santa’s lap for Christmas, a wedding photo for an anniversary party, engagement photo for a rehearsal dinner, wedding reception or bridal shower, a birth photo for baby shower, etc…) in a vintage picture frame and place it on a cake stand or stack of old books. Add a string of pearls and a pair of white gloves and you have an instant centerpiece.
- Take out the glass and replace it with a piece of thin plywood, cut to size and painted with chalkboard paint. Write an appropriate saying or phrase from an old song in chalk and display on the center of your table. Some examples of song titles and/or wording:
- For a wedding, you could write: “All my tomorrows belong to you” ~ Sinatra
- For an anniversary, write “Through the Years” ~ Kenny Rogers
- For a baby shower, write “Daddy’s Little Girl” or “Daddy’s Little Boy”.
- As a variant on the above idea, leave the glass and instead of a photo, insert a bold colored piece of paper like black, brown, hot pink, kelly green or such. Use a white paint pen or a dry erase marker to write your message or use for table names or table numbers.
Paint the frame in a coordinating color (or leave as is if the color works). Cover the glass (or back insert) with fabric, scrapbook paper or contact paper in a color or print that goes along with your scheme. Place it flat on the table and build your centerpiece on top using the frame as a tray or base of the centerpiece. If you use a solid color, scatter table confetti or table gems around the inside of the frame.
- Pick a couple of different frames and take the glass out. Layer them for an interesting look with your floral arrangement, vase or candle holder on the inside. Drape pearls or crystal garland from the tallest item down and let it puddle at the base.
Not only will you come up with something unique and different, using vintage picture frames is eco friendly too!