My mom is a Dachshund nut! She just loved the little wiener dogs. We almost always had one while I was growing up. The two that stick out the most in my memory were Hilda (from the time I was about 4 until I was 14) and Lucy, the 14 year old Dachshund they have now.
Because mom is crazy for the breed, a few years ago, my sister’s family gave her an old figurine of that breed of dog. She loved it! Since, she has added to her collection of dachshund figurines and has quite a few she showcases in a niche built into her fireplace as well as on top of a vintage washstand situated just below.
With collections, it’s fun to display them — let others enjoy them too. Here are a few tips for displaying collections:
- Find a place that will allow them to be a focal point. You love your collection and it should have it’s own center stage.
- A library, sofa, or occasional table is a great opportunity to display a vignette of your collection.
- Add a couple of items that don’t necessarily go with the collection for variety. For instance, stack a couple of old books and place some of your collection on top of the books as well as around it.
- If your collection of items are all close to the same height, add a tall piece like a vase or candle holder so the eye will travel up and down as well as across.
- If your collection is HUGE, consider rotating it. For example, I had a large collection of Precious Moments figurines. I didn’t want to just throw them all in a curio cabinet, willy-nilly. Instead, for each season and/or holiday, I chose about a dozen to display on my sofa table. It was fun going through and choosing which ones I would display when.
Do you collect something you would love to show off in a grouping? It can really add to the character of your home and decor! I say do it!
Note: My favorite dog is the cast iron one in the middle of the washstand. He’s just so cute and do you know what he is intended for? A boot scraper! So cool!